Sunday, November 8

Happy birthday to myself



-

-

Frankly, the idea of birthday celebration wasn't too appealing to me at the beginning. Well, don't get me wrong. I do take it seriously, because it is an awesome excuse to throw a massive party and get wasted. Not only where people are obliged to show up, it is also good way of reconnecting w people that you have lost touch w and most of the time they'd overlook the fact that you have been ignoring them for the past events and be all grateful again.


-


But apart from that, I don't think birthday parties really serve a purpose. All the generic birthday gifts and wishes, none of which means anything, especially when it's coming from those who barely come to you on a social call, and all of sudden out of nowhere they appeared in your life again, wishing you out of a sense of obligation than nothing else, in the hopes they would hitch a free ride in your awesome birthday party that you will be holding.


-

On the other hand, giving the circumstances that there's a bunch of true friends genuinely willing to celebrate w you, this precedent happens year after year. Thus, even the best surprise party loses its novelty eventually. (and who the hell is still dumb enough to fall for a surprise party?)



-

Ironically, I did. Cmon! Who the hell would expect a chinese restaurant in China Town to pull off the TGIF-like birthday song? It was definitely even more gratifying than the birthday party I had in one of the clubs in Manchester, all thanks to Misha, Alvaro and Tamara =]

-




-




Henceforth, my point of view changes.



-

I realized, no matter how your birthday may turns out should not be the prime subject to be taken into account, for those have put in lots of thoughts for every detail and they put forth effort in succeeding it.



Whereas being apart from my friends, birthday wishes and gifts make me feel very contented, knowing that being apart does not mean I am being forgotten.


And looking at them now, it makes me feel closer to my friends once more.



In one way or another, birthday celebrations make you feel that you are not alone in this world (unless you are celebrating it alone). They work as a reminiscer that reflects those feelings and experience you have had that particular year, and they convey the warmth from the people who have given thoughts about you, care for you.



And seeing the fact that they are not anywhere near me and yet still making such tremendous fuss about it, inside, I grinned. =]


-

-

Age of 20 also means that I can no longer simply spend my time idly and continue living in denial that I could still take things easy like a teenager. Gotta face off w the responsibilities now. Or maybe next semester. Lol.

-

-

ps: thanks for the birthday wishes/gifts people!

-

1 comments:

Joe'z said...

can see through yr photo that u look touched. have a great time there... guess we wont hang out for a long time coz when u come back i'd wont be around msia anymore. take care n live ur life bro