Sunday, October 18

Competence Equals Confidence

-
-
I used to dissent from the saying: In life there is no shortcut. Because from what I saw in every aspect of life, there'd always been a shortcut, it's just the matter of whether you are able to discern it or not.



Take examinations for instance.



In the throes of preparing for my exams, instead of learning the whole subject I'd always dissect the past year papers and only read those topics to which are connected to the past year questions. I might not be the best student around, but I scored good grades w/o putting much efforts, and here I am studying in a much prestigious academic institution.

-
-
However much I managed to cope, I've come to a significant realization that, I might be competent enough to sit examinations, but knowing that what I know is pretty much cukup makan sahaja, I have never ever been confident sitting examinations.



-
-

I think, in order to do something right, it is imperative that competency and confidence exist contemporaneously. In other words, not only that you need the competency, the necessary skills and knowledge derived from devotion of your efforts, it is important to have the confidence to take action on your ability, to do what you know and use them to your full potential.


-
Say, you are competent but you lack of confidence. The odds are that you'll be rattled whenever you hit a hurdle. Nervousness will find its way and creep on you easily whenever you come across w something you are unfamiliar with. You have no self belief at all and you are stuck.


-
On the other hand, if you are incompetent and yet have unjustified confidence, I'd say it is a perfect recipe for disaster.

The other day my flatmate who remotely knows how to cook at all placed a cup noodle in the microwave w/o opening it and let it microwaved god knows for how long. The microwave then exploded, fire works here and there and set up the fire alarm. It was damn cool thou.
(Dear Flatmate if you are reading this please note that I have kept you anonymous and I love you)


-
-
-
So guys, I know I don't sound like me at all, and you think you would never hear this from me in a million years but yes, you need to be more competent, you need to study. You might be confident that your future is all set. You may have liable connections, you may have a filthy rich dad who already mapped out everything for you, but if you don't have the necessary skills, don't delude yourself that success is at your hand.



Don't go getting delusions of grandeur. As confidence alone is not called confidence. It is called arrogance.


-
-
In life, there may not be a shortcut. But there's a detour to a better outcome: hard work pays off, but smart work pays better, a practical advice I read from Roe's. Let's us all work hard together, be more competent than we are now so that in the time to come we could frighten the others w our achievements, stand straight w a surge of confidence and swagger in the utmost cocky way, underestimate others and say 'Fuck you in the face!'


-
-
Ps: same thing goes to picking up chicks =p if you don't work (force yourself to approach them chicks), you'll never come by the confidence. I did. True story ;)


cheers*

-

0 comments: